The Uganda Land Observatory will capture the existing knowledge, collect data on the intended, concluded and failed attempts to acquire land through purchase, lease, and concessions for agricultural production, timber extraction, mining and other extractions of natural resources: deals must meet the following criteria:
- Entail a transfer of rights to use, control or own land through sale, lease or concession;
- Have been initiated since the year 2000;
- Cover an area of 50 hectares or more;
- Imply the potential conversion of land from smallholder production, local community use; or
- Important ecosystem service provision for commercial use.